Installing a hardwood floor is an elegant and classy choice. Hardwood floors have a way of enhancing the look of any room in a way that most other floors cannot do. However, having a hardwood floor means doing proper maintenance and care for it. Otherwise, over time your hardwood floors will start showing their age. The professionals at Fabulous Floors Milwaukee want to assist you in all your hardwood flooring needs. The following are some tips to retain the look only a hardwood floor can give.
Maintenance Tips from Our Experts
1. Keep Them Clean – The one golden rule about maintaining your hardwood floors is to try to keep them clean and dust-free at all times. Letting dirt and dust particles take residence on your hardwood floors is a sure-fire way to deteriorate that investment. This is because dirt can scratch the polished exterior of the floor as a result of foot traffic. The most effective way of cleaning up dirt and dust particles is to use a fine broom your hardwood floors. If possible do not use a wheeled vacuum cleaner. The wheels of the vacuum cleaner can potentially scratch the wood. Another suggestion is to sweep the floors at least every alternate day. When vacuuming, it is important to use a soft vacuum brush. Vacuuming should be done at least once a week.
2. Prevent Damage – The next tip has more to do with preventing damage to the floor. This involves using synthetic mats at the entrance point of the house. This is an excellent way to collect any residual dirt from people’s shoes. There is a wide choice of mats available today and finding one that suits the interiors of the house should not be difficult. Last but not least, make sure the mats do not have an adhesive or abrasive-coated bottom.
3. Don’t Use Water – Hardwood floors should never be cleaned with water. Regardless of what type of wood flooring you have, water will damage it beyond repair. Wood floor cleaning products are available in most supermarkets. When using one of these spray the floor and then wipe it with a cotton cloth. The cloth should be as soft as possible. These days more and more people are opting for polyurethane finish as opposed to waxed finish. Each type of finish will have a specific way to clean it properly.
4. Avoid Stains – Stains are one of the biggest enemies of hardwood floors. No matter how hard you try, at some point the floors will get stained. Somebody will eventually drop something on the floor that will cause stains. Having to deal with stains is one of the drawbacks of having a hardwood floor. Using rubbing alcohol and fine steel wool is the best way to attack stains when they happen. When this is done it will leave a mark on the wood. The last step is to do a polish job to make the wood look normal again.
5. Maintain The Polyurethane Finish – If your floor has a polyurethane protective finish on it, it is important that the finish also is maintained. You should have the floors screened and re-coated with polyurethane every 3 – 5 years, depending on the amount of traffic and where you have on the floors. If this process is neglected, the floors could become damaged, then they would most likely need to be refinished.
6. Utilize Area Rugs – Many people cover the portions where most of the foot traffic happens with carpeting. However, this is a matter of personal taste. Some see this as defeating the purpose of having hardwood floors in the first place. Use carpets to ensure the luminosity of the wood stays for a long time!
We hope some of these things are helpful. Remember these tips when it comes to maintaining your beautiful hardwood floors!